Vocational education and training in schools
Vocational education and training at St Michaels College is actively providing students with an extensive range of Nationally Accredited Training they can undertake during Years 11 and 12. Vocational education and training in school improves the employability skills of our students, equipping them to value the area of work they are involved in and to either find employment or go on to further vocational training or university.
The importance of this pathway is highlighted by the fact that around 60 per cent of students at St Michaels College do not wish to or are unable to go to university. As a result, vocational education and training in school has developed to value the diverse employment pathways and opportunities students are pursuing.
What is vocational education and training in schools?
Vocational education and training in schools is nationally recognised training that is made available to secondary school students as part of their normal school curriculum. St Michael’s College offers access to these programs in two main ways:
Subjects currently available at St Michael’s College:
- Certificate I Business Administration
- Certificate II in Business Administration
- Certificate I and 2 Hospitality
- Certificate II Tourism
- Certificate I Furnishing
We have also partnered with external Registered Training Organisation to provide students with access to:
- Certificate II in Furnishing
- Certificate II in Hospitality (Events)
- Certificate III in Children’s Services
Through school-based apprenticeships and traineeships (Australian School-based Apprenticeships), where students become paid employees under a training contract.
Students completing a vocational education and training in schools program have the opportunity to complete their secondary education with the following:
- A Queensland Certificate of Education
- Practical work skills and credit towards, or attainment of, a vocational education and training qualification
- Pre-apprenticeship Qualifications
- Qualifications to Enhance employment.