The School Counsellor provides a service of support to students, staff and parents of the school community.
The essential support services the Counsellor provides would involve:
- counselling students, parents and teachers in crisis.
- counselling students on request with a view to resolving their personal concerns.
- preparing and counselling students to negotiate life changes especially at points of transition.
- assisting students with special needs, in collaboration with other specialist personnel and providing support for those students with different cultural backgrounds.
- counselling students referred by staff.
- consulting with teachers to assist students whose classroom behaviour is impeding their own or other students academic progress.
- providing consultancy and support to parents and members of the school staff.Dr Jeff Kemp.
- collaborating with administrative and other staff to develop programs that further the personal growth and development of students and the school community.
Jeff Kemp is an experienced educator with over 40 years experience as a specialist primary and secondary teacher and guidance counsellor. Since 2006 Jeff has been conducting a wilderness adventure therapy based program known as the Asteros program for ‘at risk’ youth enrolled in Gold Coast Catholic colleges. Jeff’s work with troubled youth was recognized through the award of a Churchill Fellowship which enabled Jeff to undertake international research in the USA, UK and Canada on re-engaging disengaging youth.. Jeff is the author of the book Be A Parent Not a Pal. Jeff has also developed a suite of smart phone apps designed to help Teenagers and their parents navigate their journey through the Teenage years.
Natalie Clapoudis is a registered Psychologist (Educational & Developmental) and Teacher who has been working as a Guidance Counsellor with Brisbane Catholic Education for the last 5 years. Prior to working in schools, she worked in a Mental Health setting and as a youth worker supporting young people in foster care. Natalie has a wealth of knowledge and understanding of mental health issues and how this impacts daily life functioning and engagement in the learning process. She has a special interest in mental illness, stress management and school refusal.
Heather Clark is an Educational Psychologist who has been working as a Guidance Counsellor with Brisbane Catholic Education for over 20 years.Heather has completed specialist training in Christian Conflict Resolution and assists students with conflict and facilitates mediations as appropriate.Heather has a special interest in supporting at-risk young women and has developed a Girls Group that has been successfully facilitated in a number of schools.